Monday, May 23, 2011

Searching for Pho

I was down with something last week - headache, runny nose, scratchy throat - and I had the idea that a big bowl of hot soup would make me better.  I then headed to Mary Mac's for dinner last Wednesday, hoping to get that big bowl of soup.  But the choices were limited, and I resorted to Pot Likker, which I have never tried before.  As it turns out, it is made from the stock of boiled turnip greens mixed in with some beef stock, then you put in some crackling bread (think salty muffin then there's a little sliver of pork chicharon inside) and spiced vinegar (!).  It seems like an acquired taste and I ended up not liking it. 

Still feeling sick, I decided I'd stay in on Thursday and just work from home.  I felt a little bad too, mainly because I missed a meeting that I was the chair!  I thought I'd console myself with a big bowl of soup, hoping that it would drive away my colds too.  I recall reading about this downtown place that served pho (or Vietnamese noodle soup) and have always wanted to check it out.  I decided I'd brave downtown, traffic, parking and all, to get my soup at Dua.

To my surprise, downtown is beautiful on a weekday!  Normally, when I pass by downtown (which is either late night or on weekends) it is deserted, gray and lifeless.  But apparently on weekdays, it's bright, alive, and non-threatening! (Sorry, just honest feelings about downtown.  I promise to explore it more.  I resolve to fall in love with downtown.)  It seemed a lot like Makati to me.  Or maybe I'm just starting to get a little homesick.  Think small streets, do not enter/one-way streets, on-street parking, small restos and cafes in office buildings where the office workers go to for lunch, small parks ... Maybe I am missing home.  And traffic wasn't terrible, neither was parking.  Trying to find parking in Salcedo Village is a lot more hellish than in downtown Atlanta.  My crazy GPS, however, suddenly decided to get lost and stop giving me directions.  After a few wrong turns and GPS still not working, I decided I'd just wing it.  I parked along Walton St and headed on foot towards Broad St. 


I soon found the resto.  It was small but looked much better than a number of restos I've been too recently.  But then again, pretty might not mean much if you're looking for tasty.  I got there a few minutes before 12 so it looked like I beat the lunch crowd.  Nevertheless, almost all the tables were taken.


The pho choices were limited and, might I say, "westernized".  You had choices of either beef, meatball, chicken, tofu, shrimp or the "house" pho.  I'm used to the "real" Vietnamese version where you get to choose various animal parts (that would have otherwise been thrown away) to mix in to your soup.  Where's the flank, the brisket, tripe or tendon?

I decided to go with the House pho, thinking it would contain the most number of ingredients and, hopefully, some tendon (my favorite ingredient).  It arrived fairly quickly but at first glance I knew it was not the traditional pho I was hoping it would be.


For starters, the beef was overcooked and a little tough, so were the meatballs.  Then my favorite bits of tendon were definitely missing.  Sadness.  The quest for pho in Atlanta will go on.

But what the heck, you have a bowl of steaming hot soup right in front of you, what do you do?  Of course you dig in!  Bring on the Sriracha!

It did satisfy my momentary craving for a hot bowl of soup.  It did make me feel better.  Or maybe it was just being out in downtown on a nice, sunny day that did the trick.

I did see some rice entrees so I might just come back.

Dua Vietnamese Noodle Soup
53 Broad Street NW
Atlanta 30303
404-589-8889

No comments:

Post a Comment